Today seemed like work, work, work – with no stopping. I packed orders and got them out the door, but that is nothing new. Today, I…
- designed and laser-cut and built a formed blade pitch jig
- designed and 3D printed clutches for reverse operating props (several iterations)
- finished up a replacement WWII NoCal
- designed and 3D printed a test nose block for a Wanderer
Here are some details
1. for my new Fairey Barracuda NoCal, I built a formed prop at 6.5″ diameter and 10″ Pitch. I drew up parts for a fixture to set the blades at 10″ Pitch
2. A customer wanted clutches for a pair of counter-rotating props. Our Superior Props Clutches are machined out of aluminum and only work for “normal” rotation. It would take quite a bit to make one for reverse operation. I had experimented with 3D printing a clutch and had some relative luck, so I thought I would try to create a pair. On my fourth design, I feel I have conquered the issue and have a workable pair:
3: Last Thursday, I lost my great-flying Fairey Barracuda NoCal – it got stuck in the rafters at the flying site and will likely never be retrieved. So I built another one over the last couple of days. Notice the color differences between the old model and the new. I discussed coloring when I talked about rebuilding my Peanut Barracuda. The old colors were sampled off a 3-view. The new colors are actual RGB equivalents to Fleet Air Arm colorings. These values can be found online. So the NEW colors are “right” – in fact, while covering, I remarked to myself that they reminded me of color photos of Spitfires from WWII.
4. I am mentally preparing to rebuild my Wanderer or build a new one. One of the problems I had with the old one was the balsa nose block – the Gizmo Geezer thrust button smashed the balsa on several hard landings. I wondered if I could print one. Well, I could – I designed and printed one today. In order to prevent redundancy, I reproduced the “bottom” part of the GG nose button into the nose block. We’ll see if I can use it.
587 total views, 1 views today